Monday 29 April 2013

a good read

For the last couple of years I have been in a book-club but I have let things slip and I haven't been to a single meeting since our Christmas 'do' in December.  I was going to try to turn over a new leaf and make an effort to go to each meeting this year but it's already the end of April and I've not been to any.  I do find it harder to go out in the evenings during the winter months, once I'm home after the school run I get all cosy and warm and find it such an effort to go back out again (maybe I'm just lazy).  Now that the spring weather is with us and my get-up-and-go has returned (or my laziness has lapsed) I will still not be able to go out to the meetings because I am moving away.

I always have a book on the go.  I always read before I go to sleep as I find it the best way to rewind at the end of the day.  I love it when a story grips you and you really feel for the characters.  The 'girls' in the book-club opened my eyes to reading books that I wouldn't normally have chosen myself and I did enjoy most of them.

My recent reads include...



The lady in my local card shop was so engrossed in this book that she didn't notice me standing at the counter ready to pay for my cards.  She said it was a great read.  The blurb said that it is 'an adorable book', 'the funniest, quirkiest romance of the year' and 'brilliant'.  I'm afraid I don't agree.  Quirky, yes.  Brilliant, no.



I saw this one on a blog (sorry, I can't remember which one) and then on the shelves at Asda. I bought it without reading the blurb and maybe I wouldn't have bought it if I had.  It's about a group of terminally ill teenagers.  I enjoyed this one - in a sad kind of way and was shocked and saddened by the twist.  MissG thought it was 'cool' that I was reading it because it is written by one of her favourite You Tubers.  I enjoyed it enough to check out his other books.



I'm reading this one at the moment.  It's about a man with Asperger's Syndrome who sets himself the task of finding himself a girlfriend.  I heard the author being interviewed by Simon Mayo on Radio2 and was intrigued.  I think it is also going to be made into a film.



My sister gave me this book.  She said that she couldn't put it down.  I think this will be my next read. 


Do you have any recommendations?  I'm always on the look out for my next good read.





No comments:

Post a Comment