Friday 10 June 2011

thoroughly enjoyable thursday

I had a really, really lovely day yesterday.  It was my day off so I arranged to spend the day with my mum and sister.  We met in Penrith, a lovely little market town just south of Carlisle.  The weather forecast wasn't good for the day so we went armed with our brollies but in fact we enjoyed a lovely sunny afternoon. 

It will be my sisters birthday on Sunday but as I won't see her on the day it gave me the chance to present her with her present!  Mum, very kindly treated us to a delicious lunch in the Bewick Coffee House. 

I was also on the hunt for a birthday present for MrG's mum and Fathers Day presents for both of our Dads.  I try to buy presents when I see something that I know the recipient will be pleased with and then put them away in my present box until needed.  That way I know they will be happy with their present and I avoid buying something on impulse thinking 'that will do'.

I returned home with some beautiful local produce from a traditional greengrocer - plums, cherries and local new potatoes.

I also bought some new things to start a new craft project.  We called into the Penrith Craft Shop to look for decopatch or patterned tissue paper to top up our craft supplies and although they didn't have any they did have lots of other things that inspired us to try.  My Mum bought some wool to make a spiderweb scarf and we bought some card making bits and pieces.  I'm not really into hand made cards (apart from the ones that my children make for me) and it's not something I've fancied doing myself but they had some die-cut samples that weren't the usual naff pieces that you often see.  Anyway we all bought some so we're all going to have a go.  I think I was a bit more (maybe over) ambitious as I also bought the cellophane sleeves to put the finished cards in!  Maybe I should have made a few cards first to see if they will be good enough to sell first!  What am I like!

I have just asked to book a stall at the next Craft Market in a local village hall after seeing an advert in the village newsletter.  The next one isn't until the beginning of October so I have plenty of time to get myself organised. I haven't done one for many years but I decided that if I put my name down for a stall now then it will focus me and I will complete my craft projects more readily. I do have a habit of starting projects with gusto then moving onto the next project before finishing them.

One project I'm so looking forward to finishing is my latch-hook rug that I am making for my summerhouse.  I'm sure I could get it finished this weekend if I put my mind to it.  I do have some photos to show you - I'll drop them in later.

Another reason why I had a Thoroughly enjoyable Thursday is because it was Book Club night!  It was such a good laugh - so much fun.  The Elegance of the Hedgehog received mixed reviews - which was as expected as I think it would be hard to find a book that all 12 of us love.  Although, the group had read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson before I joined and I think they all agree that it has been the best book so far.  I borrowed it about three months ago and I still haven't read it! 

Our next book is going to be....








No comments:

Post a Comment